D I S C L A I M E R

Although I write about products and techniques, I don't receive compensation of any kind from anybody. The products that I write about work for me in my setting as an artist.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Books that I keep near my easel - Color Mixing Recipes For Protraits

There are five books that I keep on a shelf close by my easel. The Number One (numero uno!, Primo!) is "Color Mixing Recipes For Protraits" written by William F. Powell. The "official" title is Color Mixing Recipes for Portraits: More than 500 Color Combinations for skin, eyes, lips & hair which is more than I can type in one day.


If you struggle with painting people as I do, BUY THIS BOOK!  The links will take you to Amazon dot com but I'm sure other book sellers have this book.

I use "Color Mixing Recipes For Protraits" almost every time I make a painting that has a person or persons in it. It's been invaluable source for mixing colors for skin, eyes, ears, hair and etc. etc. etc. I've used it enough that I'm beginning to remember MOST (some?) of the "recipes".


The best part is that I can repeat a color later if need be.  I  keep a grid under my glass palette on my taboret.  I use this book whenever I paint a figure in a painting. Expecially if the person is not caucasian!






1 comment:

  1. I was debating about whether or not to buy this book; thanks - you've convinced me!

    ReplyDelete

I'm hoping that you have some opinion about this entry. Please let me know by leaving a comment! Thanks.