D I S C L A I M E R

Although I write about products and techniques, I don't receive compensation of any kind from anybody. The products that I write about work for me in my setting as an artist.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The BEST paint solvent and brush soap EVER!

I heard about the solvent product from an artist who made a presentation / demonstration at an art club meeting. The product is a citrus-scented industrial "multi-purpose solvent" called Citrus King.  It cleans my oil painting brushes so thoroughly that they don't get much cleaner when I wash them with soap and water. A nice thing about Citrus King is that it smells GOOD! It smell like oranges!

This stuff cleans my brushes when somebody doesn't clean them (doesn't clean them well) the last time they used the brush(es).  A good cleaning with this stuff then a wash with the Fels Naptha Soap and the brush is good to go!  :-)

They also sell other sizes - up to 5 gallon buckets which is probably a bit much for most of us.Try the 1 pint "trial" size for $10.00 plus shipping.


The one gallon size of Citrus King. I've had mine for several months and have used about 1/3 of the gallon. And I use it VERY OFTEN when I'm making a painting.  I'll use one or two brushes and just clean the brush, wipe it dry and get into another color.


THE SOAP!  The BEST brush cleaning soap - EVER - is Fels Naptha Soap. I buy it in a 5 ounce bar from Amazon dot com. It lasts a very L-O-N-G time for me.  I learned about this while taking an oil painting class in Seattle in the mid 1980's.  The instructor swore by it and she was (in my opinion) right.


A new 5 ounce bar of Fels Naptha Soap


My year-old-plus bar of Fels Naptha soap. I didn't need to buy two bars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm hoping that you have some opinion about this entry. Please let me know by leaving a comment! Thanks.