D I S C L A I M E R

Although I write about products and techniques, I don't receive compensation of any kind from anybody. The products that I write about work for me in my setting as an artist.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Making Frames From 2x4 remnants

I had some strips from some 2x4a rhat I had used for another project so I decided to make some frames.  I learned from another art club member that a judge in one of the shows that I'm entering has a "dislike" for gallery wrapped paintings. Gallery wrapped paintings in my knowledge base has canvas wrapped around the outside edges of stretcher, the artist continues the painting onto the sides and does not use a picture frame.  Well, a reliable source told me the judge feels that if a painting is not "finished" if it has no frame. OK good to know.

I cut strips of wood into an "L" shape with my handy dandy table saw. Picture below:



I then use my handy dandy compound miter saw to cut the 45 degree corners. Picture below:


While the corners are held in the corner clamps they are glued and secured with wire brads. The next step is sanding, sanding and then more sanding to get the edges smooth.  Then I apply several coats of water-based enamel paint until it looks good. How many coats? Depends on the wood and how the paint is absorbed - or not.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. omg, I'm exhausted and I have only read the process, not done it myself!!! haha Ken, you rock! Where do you get all your energy from? I need some of that stuff!

    ReplyDelete

I'm hoping that you have some opinion about this entry. Please let me know by leaving a comment! Thanks.